Black Cobra @ Hi-Ho

BLACK COBRA, BLACK TUSK, HAARP @ The Hi-Ho Lounge (NOLA)
DEGREE OF AWESOMENESS INDEX: 7.0

My initial reasons for going to this show were threefold:

1. To see my friends in Haarp.
2. Black Cobra fucking rules.
3. To see Howl, who my band shared the stage with a couple times.


Despite the fact that I had been to New Orleans just a few days prior and would have to be back down there two days later, I hopped in Andrew's car thinking, what would I have done 4 years ago if there were a badass metal show in New Orleans on a weekday? The old me would kick the new me's ass if he knew I was thinking about skipping out on this show. So we went.

We walked in as Haarp was finishing their last song. Bummer. Still, Shaun was utilizing that 50ft mic cord by performing most of the this song at the back of the room, dripping sweat all over the floor and freaking out the people trying to get in the door. If you can make a death metal fan uncomfortable, you're doing something right. Once they were done packing up, I asked Shaun where Howl was. Apparently they were at home in Providence and had no idea the show was even happening. Huh. How about that.


We'd played with Black Cobra twice already (once at Gilman St. and once at SXSW) and I dug i
t both times, but the true awesomeness of this band didn't strike me until I heard their record. This is pretty much my shit right here. Think a heavier and more punk-influenced High on Fire sans guitar solos and less memorable vocals. Seems like that might not be that interesting, but the riffs are so driving, memorable, and interesting that it's not even an issue. This is the kind of music that makes you want to drink hard, live fast, and forget about your stupid job.

After the show we were convinced by The Mischevious Enabler and L.L. Raisin' Hell to grab a drink at The John, which was of course a terrible idea since they only serve doubles and I was getting tired. No rest for the weary, though. After a round we made our way to Verti Marte, where a very reluctant graveyard-shift worker bequethed a top-notch French Fry Po-Boy to me at a reasonable price. Possibly the best po-boy I've ever had in my life. In fact, I was going to give this show a 6.0, but that Po-Boy bumps it up a point. I got home at about 4:30am and went to work at 9am, and all I gotta say is that the 2005 version of me used to be able to get up in the morning a lot easier after a full night of metal in NOLA.


No comments:

Post a Comment